Enjoy this curated resource guide to our favorite University Librarian.
Swim Herschel Swim
Rick played the guitar in this popular ska band.
Works from Libraries, Leadership, and Scholarly Communication that are available online:
- "My Name is Ozymandias, King of Kings"
- The Portal Problem:Part 1 and Part 1
- "On Necessity, Virtue, and Digging Holes with Hammers"
- "Crazy Idea #274: Just Stop Collecting"
- "Local and Global, Now and Forever: A Matrix Model of "Depth Perception" in Library Work"
- "A quiet culture war in research libraries – and what it means for librarians, researchers and publishers"
- "What Patron-Driven Acquisition (PDA) Does and Doesn't Mean: An FAQ"
- "Reference Services, Scalability, and Starfish Problems"
- "You Might be a Zealot if…"
- "Four Mantras for the Patron-Centered Technical Services Librarian"
- "Can’t Buy Us Love" plus a lengthy response here
- "On Knowing the Value of Everything and the Price of Nothing"
- "Preservation, Yes -- But What Shall We Preserve?"
- "Advocacy, Analysis, and the Vital Importance of Discriminating Between Them"
- "Signal Distortion — Why the Scholarly Communication Economy Is So Weird"
- "Six Mistakes Your Sales Reps Are Making" and "Six Mistakes the Library Staff Are Making"
- "Prices, Models, and Fairness: A (Partly) Imaginary Phone Conversation"
- "Quality and Relevance: A Matrix Model for Thinking about Scholarly Books and Libraries"
- "No Such Thing As a Bad Book? Rethinking "Quality" in the Research Library" and "Part 2 — Implications and Problems"
- "No, You May Not Come Train My Staff"
- "Revisiting: On the Likelihood of Academia "Taking Back" Scholarly Publishing"
- Is a Rational Discussion of OA Possible?; speech text and slides here
- "CC-BY, Copyright, and Stolen Advocacy"
- "OA Rhetoric, Economics, and the Definition of "Research""
- "Deceptive Publishing: Why We Need a Blacklist, and Some Suggestions on How to Do It Right"
- "The NPR Model and the Financing of Scholarly Communication"
Spotify playlists made from Rick's reccs
CD Hotlist playlists by genre
2022, Quarter 1
2022, Quarter 2
I want more!
Was that still not enough for you? Subscribe to our quarterly fan newsletter.